Thursday, June 25, 2009

A Naughty Triathlete

Yes, I am a naughty triathlete. The plan for the morning was to wake up early, get ready for my ride, help get the girls ready and then head out on the bike. Normally I would have done my ride starting with the team that I'm training with (although we're all different speeds and experience levels), but yesterday Ladybug gave Mr. Darcy such a run for his money in the morning getting ready while I was swimming that he was 1) seriously disgruntled with our child, 2) stressed out, and 3) late for work... all by 8 am. So I opted for the wake up, help get the girls ready, and then bike idea hoping to help soothe the morning maladies and keep Mr. Darcy from high blood pressure so early in the morning.

But then this morning actually arrived. I didn't even want to get out of bed let alone go on a ride. I woke up at 1:30 am to the sound of someone rummaging in my bathroom. I opened one eye and saw the water closet (what I call the mini room in our bathroom where the toilet is actually located) light was on. So I pulled myself out of bed and wandered over. There was Ladybug putting the potty seat on the toilet and trying to lift herself up on to it (she's too short to fully get up there without a step stool). I helped her up and then she smiled and did her thing. Afterwards we wandered back to her bedroom where we both laid down in her bed, for me it was temporary and for her it was for the rest of the night. Even in my sleepy state, I was so proud of Ladybug! Instead of sleeping through and having an accident, she woke up and went to use the potty! Miracles of miracles.

I had a hard time falling back asleep, though. Thoughts of what needed to be done the next day were flooding my head and my right leg now has sciatica which is rather annoying... especially since the chiropractor is on vacation this week. (Thank goodness I have an appointment for Tuesday afternoon.) Eventually the sleep came and I was out... until the alarm clock roused me. I still had no motivation to get up and get on my bike. I got dressed in my biking gear anyway, started doing my back stretches and then I heard music and a little voice singing. I wandered my way over to the girls' room and in the play room there was Angelfish playing so sweetly with a little toy piano, playing the keys and singing her own little song.

She had turned every light on in the play room, and the girls' bathroom (which is right next door and evidently she had used when she got up - YAY! So proud!) So Angelfish and I chatted a bit, I showed her how she could play "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star" by matching the numbers on the notes to the numbers on the toy piano, and then she set her sights on a waffle. Ladybug was even polite this morning... when I went in to wake her up, she asked me in a very polite voice "Please may I have a few more minutes?" It was a lovely morning. The girls were so genial and happy to get dressed, eat, use the potty, etc. There was a little bit of stalling but not much.

As we were packing everyone into the car, I realized that the bike just wasn't going to happen though. I just did not want to get on that bike or switch a run for the bike. I had no interest in it this morning. I just wanted to stay home and straighten my office and piddle around the house. And that's just what I did!

Which turned out to be a good thing because I'm not sure I would have been home in time for my parents' arrival otherwise. They were so excited about their visit that they got up and were on the road by 5:55 am and were at my house by 8:15 am! YAY! Let the Angelfish and Ladybug birthday weekend (well, just the family part) begin!

1 comment:

  1. Never ever apologize for taking a day off. Trust me if you had forced yourself to go you would have been miserable.

    Happy Birthday girls!!!