Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Voting in Florida and still getting to run

So today is Election Day. The day the political parties have been preparing for for what seems like years now. We got up, got Angelfish and Ladybug ready for school (Angelfish looked very cute in her pink pants and flower top; Ladybug is on a dress kick so she wore a pink Minnie Mouse dress with turquoise shorts underneath - she picks her own clothes these days... and while not what I would pick she still looks like a cutie!), took them to daycare and got to the polling place at 7:25 am. It opened at 7 am. Back in our Georgia voting days, that would not have resulted in a very long wait - an hour at most. BUT NO.

THis is Florida. The home of the infamous hanging chads. We waited in line to vote for THREE & A HALF HOURS. That's right - 3 1/2 hours or 210 minutes. (As Bill put it, we could have watched a movie while we waited.) Luckily, I had dressed in my running garb because I thought I might have time to run after voting... well, there happened to be a walking path next to the line we were waiting in and my lovely husband decided he was secure enough in his manhood to hold my purse for me - so I skipped the 5 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down, and ran for 10 minutes and came back into the line. He had only moved about 3 feet forward, so I probably could have done it a 2nd time but I could tell that he wasn't thrilled with holding my purse. So, at least I got a run in even if it wasn't very long!

And eventually, I even got to vote. Why did it take so long to vote? There was ONE voting machine. (We had actually both tried to early vote last week and the lines were 2 1/2 hours long then... if only we had known!) We asked one of the poll workers if she knew why they only had one machine and she told us that they requested another one from the state and they were told no. Absolutely ridiculous. BUT, we still voted. So, if things don't turn out the way we like we have the right to complain all we want...

SO GET OUT AND VOTE (if you haven't done so already)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment