Friday, November 14, 2008

A good day in the pool and on the bike...

It is a gloriously nice day in Orlando today. The sun is shining and the sky is blue and so far it's not super hot. Of course, it is expected to reach 84 today so it will be hot. But that keeps the pool from being so cold, so I really shouldn't complain!

I swam 1 mile and then hopped on the bike for a 30 minute ride (so probably about 7 miles+). It was great! I don't know if a lot of people took the day off today, but there wasn't as much of the usual car traffick this morning so the bike ride was even better than normal. And I passed the same woman I seem to pass almost every morning with the very yippy Collies. This woman wears a huge hat that covers her face and generally a baggy long sleeve sweatshirt and baggy sweatpants. I can't help but think to myself every time I see her that 1) I'm glad she walks her dogs on a leash because I think they'd try to bite me if they could; and 2) she has to be hot under all of that gear! But I digress... the swim bike combo is my favorite workout by far. Now if only I could like running as much, but I have to admit while I still don't like it, running is growing on me (like a fungus!)... when I don't have shin splints that is. : ) Oh, and I have a theory about my shin splints. I think my shin splints might be directly related to my wearing heels for all these years. I know that wearing heels does something to the calf muscles (I think it makes them be in a tightened, shortened position) and tight calves are directly related to shin splints. I think I may be on to something here, but if only I could find a way to discover if I'm right!

Anywho. On the other training front: Megan had a successful potty morning. I decided not to take no for an answer this morning about the potty. I walked her into the bathroom and told her I wanted her to go potty. She told me no, so I prepared her to sit on the potty and placed her there. She cried and said no, and I told her calmly that it was her decision, but that if she did not go pee on the potty that she would have to wear a pull up to school that morning. I also told her that Ms. Alizette (one of her teachers) told me that she goes potty for her at school and asked why she would go for Ms. Alizette and not for Mommy. (I wanted her to connect the idea that going potty can be applied everywhere.) And then I bribed her. I told her that if she went pee on the potty not only could she wear underpants but she could also have a sticker (the holy grail in our house right now is stickers). She told me to "get out of the potty room, please" and I asked her if she wanted privacy and she said yes. So, I went just outside of the bathroom and she put the potty seat back on the potty, climbed up and went PEE! YAY!! It was great! So, she got lots of praise and hugs and kisses (and she looked very pleased with herself as well) and 2 star stickers too. It was so cute because after she got the stickers, she asked if Amanda could have a sticker and I told her that stickers were for going pee or poop in the potty. So she walks up to Amanda and shows her the stickers, and says "You no want stickers too? Hmm?" (Megan says Hmm? just like yoda. I love it!) Amanda says "yes!" and Megan tells her "Go pee in potty!" Unfortunately, at that point Amanda decided she was more interested in eating. But 1 out of 2 isn't bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment