Thursday, November 6, 2008

Return of the Shin Splints

It's like a bad version of the Star Wars movies, although I'm really hoping this won't turn into a trilogy (or even worse a six movie saga)... my shin splints are back. Luckily though this time it's only in one leg (the left). I thought they might be making a return, but I didn't want to believe it... but this morning I did a 5 minute walking warm up and intervals of 30 second sprint and then walking back to the start (essentially 15 minutes worth of them) and then a 5 minute walk cool down. By the time I started stretching my legs at the end of the workout, I knew. So, I'll be on advil and ice and walking only for my "run" workouts the next few weeks (probably 4 weeks because evidently the 2 1/2 weeks wasn't long enough last time). Good news though is that my 1st sprint triathlon isn't until February 1st... long enough to recover and get back into it for the big day.

But, I know I can do it. As some of you know one of my dearest friends on this earth is battling cancer right now. She has been my friend since the 1st day of 7th grade when she asked if she could sit next to me in English class and another friend decided to sit with a different person in class and our other friend was late to class. I just could say no - she was new (it was a small school) and she looked a little lost. As fate would have it, we were inseparable from that point forward... pretty much until we graduated and even after we have stayed very close. It's always been nice to have someone who knew you in the awkward, gawky, braces stage and who you have such a history with. For an only child, she has always been the closest thing to a sibling that I've had - we had our tiffs and yet we always looked out for one another and as adults I think we love each other all the more for all those memories (both as kids and the ones we've made in our post-childhood years). Unfortunately, her cancer has not responded to chemo and radiation and due to where it is located is inoperable as well. She is a private person, so I hope she's not feeling upset that I've mentioned this all in my blog. I just needed to talk about it I guess, but also to express that she is my inspiration to do not only the sprint triathlon but also to take on the international distance triathlon that I will do in order to raise money for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. For all that she has gone through, I know that my triathlon experience will not even come close to comparing to what she endures or for that matter what her husband, parents and sister endure. I love her more than trees (if she reads this she'll understand... it's one of those childhood things between us) and I know I can't do anything to change what she is going through even though I so desparately want to. My fundraising for cancer research and support services for cancer patients and their families is only a drop in the bucket, but at least I can try to do something... so if you (the readers of this blog) would like to help add to my drops in the bucket (if you haven't already), please donate in support of cancer patients like my friend and their/her families as well as my triathlon endeavors via the following website: http://pages.teamintraining.org/cfl/miatri09/kmartinmou I will be eternally grateful. I know I am blessed to know my friend like I do and I hope I make her proud as well as earn money for cancer research.

God bless you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment