Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Big Apple...

No, not a snack (although I could really go for one since I didn't get to have lunch today)... I am in NYC! Started the morning with a lovely 30 minute bike ride (7 miles almost on the nose), some work, and then headed to the airport.

While in the car I realized, I should have left earlier but since I can drive our minivan like Maria Andretti (that would be the female version of Mario) when there are no children in it and I'm pressed for time, I made a record 25 minute trip to the Orlando airport from our house (including finding a parking spot which was not easy today). And then I had problems getting the kiosk to find my reservation, but at that point I figured I was ok to make my flight and wasn't overly flustered. (And a big thank you again to the Big Guy and St. Joseph for looking out for me!) When it finally found my reservation it told me my flight was now delayed by 1 hour. So, I mosied through security, found a nice spot at my gate and practiced my seminar for tomorrow in my head and watched families ending their vacations at Disney world (they are easy to spot with all of their Disney paraphenalia and the forlorn little looks on the faces).

Our plane finally arrived (delayed due to de-icing issues, which is slightly humourous when you're leaving a place whose high for day was supposed to be 81), and we boarded. No one sat in the row with me... yay! So I spread out and fell asleep while continuing to practice my seminar. Woke up for the peanuts and water and went back to practicing. When we arrived, there was snow on the ground! It really is beautiful to see the city in fresh fallen snow that's not muddied up just yet. The sky is grey but it looks like a thick mist is setting on the city instead of being truly clouds. All in all it's rather pretty and not as cold as I thought it would feel either.

After a bit more practicing for tomorrow, I will be off to dinner with my friends from college (Model UN nerds like me) Diana and Lenny and Lenny's new wife! I'm really looking forward to it as it's been a while since I've seen them - the last time I made it to NYC with work, which I think was 3 1/2 to 4 years ago. Time flies...

No comments:

Post a Comment