Monday, May 10, 2010

Dang Genetics

I woke up this morning and realized that I had a cardiology appointment this morning.  Just a 6 month check of the blood lipids to make sure my little dose of Crestor was still fighting the good fight against the familial hypercholeterolemia..

The doctor, it seems, was running behind at the hospital on the really bad patients.  So I was sitting and waiting.  It's frustrating because it seems like every time I go to his office I wait.  1st appointment of the day, mid-afternoon, whenever, I wait.  But luckily I like him and he's a good doctor, so I put up with it.  Evidently it was time for another EKG - mine looked good.  Even my blood pressure hadn't soared too terribly high even though I was in the doctor's office.  (It only goes up in the doctor's office.)  When they weighed me, I was 3.5 pounds lighter than at the endocrinologists office. YAY!

So I thought, bring the doctor in so I can get out of here!  Not so lucky.  My genetics it seems decided to pull a fast one.  My cholesterol is still nice and normal at 150. (Thanks to crestor of course.)  But my LDL particles are hanging out as small and dense particles instead of the happy large and buoyant particles.  This means they are "sticky" and can easily attach to the walls of my arteries... which we do not want at all.  So now I have to take something called niaspan before bed along with an aspirin 1/2 an hour before that so I am not uncomfortable from the "flush" that will occur.

It could be a lot worse news, and this I realize.  But, I wish that for once I could go into a doctor's office for a check up and be told NO bad news.  I sort of came close to that with the endocrinologist last week - except for the weight GAIN.  I dream of going to the doctor and being told everything is working, you've lost weight, and all is well.  But, what's another medicine to add to the counter top, right?

The other good news is that this morning Mom had her "temporary" implant replaced with the permanent one in her breast reconstruction.  The surgery went extremely well and took all of 30 minutes.  She's home already and sleeping, per doctors orders.   I'll take having to take niaspan over any bad news on that front any day and twice on Sundays!

Unfortunately, the doctor running late at the hospital means that I didn't get to my morning run AND I can't get to it this evening because I have to work a little late to make up the time.  Plus, I need to get the grocery shopping done since I played all weekend.  But the UPS man brought me some more reading materials - my Zone books arrived and I'm already rivited by the preface where he's talking about his genetic heart issues that kill off family members in their 50's.  So you may just get a review of that book this week as well.

This coming weekend, Mr. Darcy and I are taking the ladies to his parents house where they will be sufficiently spoiled while we go to Amelia Island for Saturday and part of the day Sunday to celebrate our 13th Anniversary.  It's hard to believe that 13 years ago, I was finishing up the details for the wedding right about now.  Time has flown!  What's even more frightening is that I met Mr. Darcy the month I turned 18, and as of August we'll have been together for 17 years.  One more year and I'll have known Mr. Darcy for as long as I didn't know him.  Good thing we still like each other!

Anyway, I've got a 1 1/2 hour bike, Day 1 of week 3 of the Push Up Challenge, and some TriPower strength moves on tap for tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it!


  1. Good news, bad news. Life sure does balance itself, doesn't it? I always hope for the good news-good news day as well, but those are more rare than I wish. I have a feeling I don't appreciate them as much as I should and I bet they are happening more often than I think.

  2. Sounds like it was mostly good news. :o)

  3. Congrats on the weight loss AND the good surgery with your mom AND on the 13 year anniversary!!!!