12. It was the most physically grueling thing I have ever done in one day in my lifetime, and I did it.
13. I want to do more triathlons!
14. I met some amazing people along the journey.
Things I need to improve upon:
1. The run. I have to find a way to get myself so that I can actually run at the end and to run it relatively fast, like an 8 minute mile would be great.
2. The bike. I have to get faster. I averaged 14.5 mph, which isn't that great... although I probably could have been a good bit faster if I didn't have that giant bridge to go over 4 times. Plus, I need to figure out my nutrition better. It dawned on me yesterday that I only had 3 shot blocks on the bike and didn't have a gel or anything before I got on the bike after the swim. I did take 2 gels during the run, but that's normal for a run for me. I definitely need to figure that out. That will most likely help in the performance area.
3. The swim. Ok. Realistically, in my first ocean swim and being me - not other people who do not have the same issues as I do whether physically or otherwise - it was pretty good. But I still really want to be faster. 37 minutes instead of the 34 predicted from my pool swim is upsetting to me. I wanted 35 minutes or less and I'm not really certain what happened.
4. Staying in it mentally when I'm so overheated. I think I probably could have physically run the entire 6.2 miles but my brain wasn't in it to the point that I believed I could have run. I still believed I could finish, but I wasn't telling myself I could run it. My ability to use my mantra wasn't really there anymore. I have to figure out how to hold on to it.
5. Not expecting myself to be perfect. In fact, I realize I should be proud of myself. I did something only about 1% of the world's population has and will do. I did something I've never done before in my life. It was physically grueling and I did it. 6 months ago I couldn't run 2 minutes without difficulty and now I did almost 32 miles of swimming, biking and running all in 3:57:43.01.
So when's the next race? This all just gives me room for improvement!