Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I May Have Gone Crazy..

but my readers, you are guaranteed to have continuing installments of my blog. I have, with the support of my darling husband, decided that after the Olympic Distance triathlon on May 3rd (only 12 days from today), I will train for and complete the IronMan 70.3 Triathlon in Augusta, Georgia on September 27th.

This means that I will willingly (and at the moment am saying this with euphoric glee) swim 1.2 miles in the Savannah River, followed by a 56 mile bike ride through Augusta across state lines into the state of South Carolina and then back across state lines into Augusta, Georgia, and then finish up with a 13.1 mile run. As you might have figured out by now, the 70.3 in the name of this race is the total number of miles I will be doing in one day. I am almost giddy in my insanity. But then am I insane if I realize that this is quite an extreme adventure? Just keep me in your prayers as I train, and all will be well. God loves idiots and fools, as a good friend of mine likes to say.

At the moment the only thing that troubles me about the race is the elevation map of the bike course. Let's just say it's a little bit hilly. But I have time to get ready. 158 days per their website.

In other news, we had 2 girls who slept in underpants last night. They made it through the night and then peed in their beds after waking up but before running naked through the house - because who wants to be in wet clothes? The night before last Angelfish made it through the night in underpants and we woke her up so she made it to the potty in time. Day time (knock on wood) has been dry for Angelfish and mostly dry for Ladybug. Ladybug is dry if she goes to school, but she has some difficulties on Saturdays but catches on again on Sundays for some reason. So we're making progress with the other training that is going on around here too.

As for training for my upcoming race, it's going well. Saturday we did a 40 minute swim followed by a 15 mile bike and a 2 mile run. I had a lot of fun doing it and worked on my hill riding - not losing momentum by continuing to bike on the down hills - my computer isn't working (it's getting looked at this evening) so I don't know how fast I was going but it felt super fast and I rather enjoyed it! Sunday was an off day, which is good because I went to my friend's bachelorette party Saturday late afternoon until Sunday morning (we stayed overnight in a hotel) and I had a bit more to drink than I have in ages, but luckily I kept myself drinking water too so I wasn't hung over - just tired.

By Monday I recovered and swim practice was really good actually. We swam a mile and then ran a mile and then did some visualization for our upcoming race. For some reason this morning, I was rearing to go for my 5 mile run. I kept thinking of it as I slept - about having to get up and do it, about the route I was going to run, etc. So after helping get the munchkins in the car I took off on my run. 5 miles later I was completely sweaty, smelly and happy.

Tonight is our bon voyage party where we find out details about the upcoming Miami race and tally up the amounts our team has raised for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. And then swimming tomorrow morning! I'm getting super excited about the race and am looking forward to bringing the family down to Miami for the race and festivities!

1 comment:

  1. I feel very proud of you I had hard time getting used to the thought when Geni first said she wanted to do 70.3. I think it will be fun and I can wait to see you race in Miami and Augusta. Keep it up girl!

    ReplyDelete