Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The one good thing about frustration...

and being upset about stuff is that it makes me run faster.  It was a whopping 42 degrees and extremely windy this morning.  I opted for not trying to get any sleep, got dressed, got the little ladies up and started them on getting ready for school, realized it was after 7 am already and let Mr. Darcy handle the rest.  I headed out for my 4 mile run. 

This run was sort of like speed work because I was supposed to do the 1st mile as a warm up, the 2nd 2 miles at 5K race pace, and then the last mile at a cool down.  I did my best to stick to this plan, but when I started to run I was tense.  So tense then you could have probably bounced a quarter off my neck muscles and caught it off the bounce.  So while I was mentally thinking, take it slow this first mile.  Ease into it, I knew I was going a bit faster than normal when my HR was already up at 2:30 in and I was at the spot I'm usually at around the 5 minute mark.  Yup.  So I just told myself again to try not to go so fast and I thought I slowed my pace and looked down at my watch at the1st mile mark to see 9:25.  Uh yeah.  Remember last week (when granted my legs and ovaries weren't exactly complying with my wishes) when we did that timed mile that was supposed to be our fastest? That was 10:24.  Guess that warm up was a little faster than planned.

Of course a few minutes later my calf muscles started their shenanigans but this time it wasn't up my shin bones... this time it was in my lower calf toward the back - on both sides.  At the same time I almost got blown over by the wind as I rounded a corner and was having to push hard against the wind while running.  (You know it's windy when you get home and look in the mirror after cooling off to see that you have wind burn - and you were wearing a hat.)  I figured with the pain and all, I'd just keep truckin' and see what I could do.  And I told myself that no matter what, I was awesome because I didn't go back to bed and skip my run.

The next thing I know, I'm at the turn that is essentially the long home stretch in my 4 mile run.  I turn onto that road and it's straight all the way home for just about 1.1 miles.  I made it from the corner past the elementary school and over the "bridge" before my 5 minute run in the 5/1 cycle was over.  And it dawned on me.  I may be able to finish my run in about 44 minutes.... and 11 minute pace.  After my 1 minute walk, I realized where I was and thought to myself, heck with 44 minutes, I might be able to get this 4 mile run done before my next 5 minute run interval ends. 

Instead of using it as a cool down, I ran hard.  The wind was whipping, my cold weather asthma was creaking as I breathed but my lungs only hurt a little bit, so I decided.  I was going to do it.  I looked at my watch and I was at 38:24.  I definitely could come close.  By god my calves were pissed, but I didn't care.  I cranked it a little more.  I had to pull up just a little because the wheezing sound was getting louder, but I refused to look at my watch to see the time.  I just dug it out.

When I got to the path to the front door - my start and end point - I looked at my watch.  41:17.01.  A 10:19 minute pace.  Holy smoly.  I'm not sure where all that speed came from other than my sheer stress and frustrations, but I sure hope the speed decides to stick around even when I'm not worked up.

And now for a bowl of cereal and some fruit if I can find some, then a shower, washing some laundry, picking up some prescriptions, and then starting the work day.  I have a hair appointment at noon and then this evening I have the little ladies all to myself.  I'm thinking of making what I like to call garbage can pasta - it's what I call it when I go through the pantry and the fridge to see what's left and then I make the healthiest meal I can.  In this case I think it's going to have chicken in the spaghetti sauce, and the sauce may have to serve as the "vegetables."  And then we may make valentines for the grandparents, godparents, aunts and uncles, and cousins.  I'll have the girls all to myself for the night because Mr. Darcy is at a fraternity alumni reception from 5:30 -7:30 and then going to dinner with some brothers afterwards. It will be nice to have some time with my little ladies!

Post Script: Oh and after adding in my morning run, I'm supposed to eat 1995 calories today.  After having that  bowl of cereal, an apple and some low fat cheese, I'm at 535 right now.  I'll let you know how it goes tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. Awesome run this morning! 10:19 is usually my race pace for the half marys :) I really like the way you set up your blog with the training and race schedules. I ended up copying you actually, lol.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete