Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Early Morning Karma, Chick-fil-a Night, The Morning, and Plans for a Timed Run

Early Morning Karma.
I believe in karma.  You know.  What goes around, comes around.  Well, the karma of early morning wake ups came to visit last night.  At a little after 3 am, I heard crying and yelling for Mommy.  I went running to discover that Angelfish woke up because she had to go to the potty but didn't want to get in trouble for getting out of bed and wanted permission.  Her yelling woke Ladybug up and scared her, so she was crying as soon as I went to the restroom with Angelfish.  I ended up having to lay in bed with Ladybug until she fell asleep, and then it took me awhile to fall asleep too.  I'm hoping for a solid, full night of sleep tonight.  I figure after an evening run and a shoe clinic with the Team in Training team and a shoe clinic, I'll be ready to sleep well.

Chick-fil-a Night
Speaking of sleeping well... the liliputians were tuckered out last night when it was time for bed.  Mr. Darcy was out at an Orlando Magic game with some contractors, so I decided that the girls and I would have some fun.  I gave them the option of where they wanted to go for dinner: Chick-fil-a or our local pasta place, Papa Gio. 

At first Angelfish wanted Chick-fil-a and Ladybug wanted Papa Gio.  I told them that we could only go one place so they had to agree on where to go.  Angelfish looked at Ladybug and said, "Chicken nuggets and playground."  Instantly, the decision was made: Chick-fil-a.  I had actually hoped for Papa Gio because it's a bit healthier, but I also liked the idea of Chick-fil-a because they could run and play after we ate.

Well, it was a great time!  We walked in and there are Angelfish's buddy C and his very nice parents.  It turned out it was Kids Night at Chick-fil-a.  Angelfish likes C. so much that her valentine (that is posted in the front desk area for all to see) does not say that she loves her Mommy, Daddy, or sister, like all the other little kids.  Nope.  Her valentine says "I love C. because he is my friend and plays with me outside."  Yup.  Mommy, Daddy and Ladybug all got the shaft for C.  He's a sweet kid though, so I can't hold it against him.

Anyway, we ended up eating with C. and his parents and after we ate, the kiddies all played like mad little things in the play place, pretending to go to outer space and back.  They ran themselves ragged to the point they were all sweaty and their cheeks were bright red.  While they played, the adults actually got to have a conversation.  It was wonderful!

On the way home, Ladybug asked if she could have Gatorade when we got home.  I told her no.  As a rule, we do not give the girls Gatorade.  It's not good for them to have all that salt, etc.  But they've had a sip of Mr. Darcy's from time to time and pine for the day when they too can have Gatorade.  (Of course, I tell Mr. Darcy that unless he's working out or mowing grass during the summer, really he shouldn't be drinking it either....) Then she asked when she could have some and I said, "When you get older."  And Angelfish said, "Yeah.  'Cause then we can go running with you, Mommy!  And once we're all sweaty and stinky after we're done running, we can have it then."  I love it!

Once we got home, the girls had a bubble bath and pretended to swim in the tub.  Then a Curious George story, a couple of songs and then bed.  It was a great night!  I had really wanted to spend a fun evening with them since I've been so busy, and it was perfect.  And it made it so much easier to get the ladies into bed.  I didn't hear one, "but I'm not tired."

The Morning
This morning I took the ladies to school since Mr. Darcy will be picking them up from school today.  They were great.  They got ready nicely, and even Ladybug didn't meltdown except over a pair of socks (they weren't fitting her the way she wanted them to) and she fixed the problem herself by getting a different pair of socks.  I realized too this morning how much the girls have grown.  Just 3 years ago, they were little bitty things that needed me to dress them and change their diapers.  Now, at 3 1/2 they're picking out their clothes, using the potty (most of the time), having opinions and telling me them, and can figure out how to put a sweater on by sticking the hood on their head and putting an arm in each sleeve.  It's really amazing if you stop to think about it.

Ladybug's outfit wasn't too bad today either - a black shirt that has a pink cat on it, a cornflower blue (check out the crayon in a crayon box, you'll know what I mean) skirt, white socks and black patent leather shoes, and a red "peppermint" (as she calls it) hair clip that has curled ribbons on it.  (When we got to school, Ladybug's friend Ch. asked me, "Why is Ladybug wearing a cheerleader hair tie in her hair?"  I hadn't realized it, but that's kind of what it looked like with all the ribbons.)

Angelfish made me laugh this morning when she stubbed her toe and told me, "My foot hurts.  I think it has a headache." 

But I think one of my favorite parts of the morning was when Angelfish said: "Mommy, can I tell you something?"  Me: "Yes, honey, what is it?" Angelfish: "I love you." and then Ladybug chimed in: "I love you too Mommy!"  It made me feel so good that Angelfish really wanted me to hear what she had to say and that it was to tell me she loved me.

When we got to school, they walked in their classroom, found their friends, and didn't really notice when I left.  We had such a good time, that it made me sad to leave and to realize that I might not make it home in time for bed tonight.

Plans for a Timed Run
But it should be a good workout tonight.  Core and a timed mile.  I just hope I have the energy for the timed mile after a day of work and lack of sleep from last night.  It's not like I won't be able to get the mile done, but it's a matter of how fast.  I just thought back to my first run practice last year with Team in Training - right about this time almost exactly to the day last year.  Running 1 mile was HARD for me, and not just because I was running it fast but because I was running at all.  Some of my faster teammates finished so far ahead of me I didn't even see them.  They're back on the team this year and while I do not think I'll be able to keep up (they can do their fast mile in under 6 minutes), I'm hoping to at least be able to see them when I finish.  But, I definitely perform better in the mornings than the evenings.  Good thing that's when race time typically is... but in the end, I will cut myself a break.  I'll do my best and that best is the best for me on this day, and it doesn't matter what the fast kids do.

Well, it's off to work some more and to remember to renew my USAT membership and buy tickets for the JLGO Blue Note Ball and get that membership at LA Fitness so I can get my swim done in the morning.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment