Monday, December 1, 2008

Walk/Run & Swim to Start Monday Off Right!

This was a little bit of a rough morning to get going. I didn't want to get out of bed, Mr. Darcy was sleepy, and Ladybug at first refused to get out of bed and then spent the morning crying or arguing about getting ready for school and breakfast. She even hit and kicked her Mommy and told her to go away! Angelfish even said that she was sleepy when I woke her up, but after a few minutes was her usual cheery morning girl. She even tried to share her muffins with Ladybug to help Ladybug feel better about getting up.

But, once I finally got out of the house (after Angelfish pointing out I had on my swim suit and then pointed at my running shoes and said "you go running in swim suit") I headed to the gym. I did 20 minutes on the treadmill and discovered I like running outside better, but my legs seemed to like the treadmill a little bit better than the road. It was a 5 minute walk, 10 minutes of alternating 1 minute walk and run, and then a 5 minute cool down. Then straight to the pool (note to self, I will bring my goggles and swimcap to the treadmill so I can bypass the need to go into my gym locker before the swim) where I swam about 3/4 of a mile. I would have done a full mile but was running short on time and didn't want to be late to work. I have to say that it felt good to lap a guy who was swimming while doing a 100 m pull (that means I wasn't even kicking). Of course, it was interesting to notice that for a few laps after he was swimming harder and trying to keep up with me. I won out in the end. : ) Yes, that competitive streak comes out. Just be glad we're not playing monopoly! My Teams in Training coach gave me some calf strengthening exercises to do as well as an icing regimen.

Normally, this would be a Sunday brick, but I took this coming Sunday's workout and moved it to today because I leave Thursday evening to visit my friend in Arkansas and will be gone until very late on Sunday. I'm going to try to walk/run while I am there, but we shall see. I want to focus on spending my time with her, but hope I won't tire her out either. I'm a little nervous about the trip because I want to have a nice visit but it's a little odd to have the fact that she is dying of cancer putting an odd perspective on things. I got to talk to her the other day which was wonderful. Unfortunately her voice is not back fully so she sounded like she had larygitis pretty badly, but it was still great to hear her perspective on things (politics, etc.) as well as just catching up on life. (Hopefully I didn't bore her with stories of the girls and their antics.) I am very much looking forward to seeing her! And I bet Little Rock will be a bit colder than Orlando...
Oh and btw, my bike is just fine. Mr. Darcy and I figured it out and all is well. Yeah! Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment