Monday, December 22, 2008

The weekend workout!

This weekend and today were full of good workouts. Saturday I went for an hour long bike ride and felt like I could have gone longer despite trying to keep a good pace. I love those rides! I rode through the neighborhood, out past Timbercreek Highschool and took a big loop that goes around and up to Bella Vida and the shops near there and then cycled back into the neighborhood and around here. I did about 12 1/2 miles or so. The weather was warm and nice, with super blue skies, so it was great! Then we got a lot of Christmas stuff done - we wrapped all of the presents for everyone except for the girls and got a shower in (very important after that 1 hour bike ride) before Rob, Sue, Julia & Laura arrived. We had a good time with them and the girls played really well together! And Angelfish & Ladybug even used the potty a time or two!

Sunday I did a 30 minute bike ride followed by a 20 minute walk/run (5 minute walk followed by 12 minutes alternating between running 3 minutes and walking 1 minute. I can run longer than the 3 minutes but my left shin doesn't really like it.) I think I'm going to have to do as much running as possible on the treadmill because my left shin was hurting pretty badly after the run. Ice is being applied and all will be well again at some point. And knock on wood, it's only my left shin. After the international triathlon is over, I may just train for the swim and bike aspects of the triathlon and then run in the races. I think if I lengthen the swim trainings I can probably keep up the endurance side for the running. We'll just have to see.

Today it was in the 40s when I biked. I couldn't bring myself to get to the gym to swim today. I wanted to actually swim, but I didn't want to pack my bag and have to get in the car to do it. Mondays typically are off days, but with Christmas on Thursday I am using Thursday as my off day from training. So I switched Thursday's run to Friday's swim & run (instead of swim & bike since I am adverse to doing my bike workouts on a stationary bike unless absolutely necessary - like when I start doing all 3 together on Sundays between now and my February 1st tri), took the bike from Friday and moved it to today. There's no way I'm missing the girls' waking up on Christmas morning all excited even if I do like training for my triathlons.

It dawned on me this morning that my workouts will be getting even harder after I finish my 1st triathlon in February. The reason? The next triathlon is a lot longer than the one in February... more than twice as long on the swim, more than twice as long on the bike and 3x as long on the run. I have to admit that at this point, I am a bit frightened of it. I think I'll definitely be able to do the swim and then the bike... it's adding on the run at the end that gets my nervousness going. But, as my primary goal is to raise as much money as possible for cancer research and to FINISH the race, I should be ok because even if I end up having to walk, I'll still be moving along and getting it done. My 2ndary goal is to finish the race and not only swim and bike but also to run the entire last 6.2 miles like you're supposed to since it's well, a run at the end. And my tertiary goal is not to come in last place out of all the entrants... but at the same time, even if I come in last, I'll have at least finished it!

Tomorrow is a swim and run (on the treadmill with lots of ice and walking too) at the gym, which is probably a good thing because it's supposed to be chilly the next few days! And it will help in preparation for the eating fest on Christmas Eve with the Wigilia! YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment