Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A dark and rainy Tuesday...

Well, that's how it started out anyway... oh and cold. We woke up this morning to a bit of rain and a cold front that was moving on through Orlando. It was about 50 degrees this morning and windy, but it had stopped raining when I set off on my 40 minute bike ride (I did about 8 miles... so I'm getting a little faster without too much effort). With the wind, it was a bit chilly which my legs complained a bit about until they got a little numb. I still plan to buy the long winter bike pants, but it's just difficult to pay for them because they're a bit expensive. In one of the books I read, it said that triathlons are an expensive sport because you need some gear and then get to wanting stuff that can make you faster, sleeker, etc. I've been trying to resist the urge for the faster, sleeker, but numb legs may be starting to fit into the needed gear category... but $110 for a pair of pants is a bit much, and even when you find a $60 sale pair, it's still hard to swallow. Besides, I haven't gotten pneumonia yet so I probably don't really need them that much, right? Perhaps Santa Claus will be nice to me and they will magically appear under the tree. Of course, I also asked santa for racing sunglasses that I can wear while running and biking (I feel a bit like a diva when using my normal sunglasses so I don't wear any right now and it's sunny alot here in Florida), a bigger and better workout bag, and a new travel cosmetic bag... so the odds probably are not high on the biking pants - especially after Mr. Darcy's reaction when I told him what I found on line in the biking pant arena. Oh well.

Back to the ride itself. It was really great, although I think a lot of people are returning to work (and running a bit late) today because there were more cars out and about in the neighborhood this morning. After being honked at by a car because I was riding on the side of the road and being yelled at to get on the sidewalk by the same motorist, I am even more cognizant of the fact that people do not realize that by law bicyclists are supposed to ride on the ROAD not the sidewalk... plus I don't trust people driving to pay attention (especially those on their cellphones) and not run me over! Luckily I have not had a bad experience first hand, but I have seen motorists almost hit bicyclists before. YIKES! But, I returned unscathed to the house with the sun shining but still a bit of chilliness. : )

Some good news is that my legs don't hurt today - even after running on the treadmill a little bit yesterday. YAY! I'm icing after every workout and am supposed to before bed too (I keep forgetting to do it before bed though) and am doing calf and shin strengthening exercises and more calf stretches too. So there is hope for running after all! (Which is good because it would completely stink to swim, bike and then have to walk the run!) So, there is hope for tomorrow's run and swim workout!

Some bad news is that Ladybug is refusing to use the potty in the mornings and this past weekend and yesterday wanted to only wear pullups. I'm tempted to go cold turkey with underpants and no pullups with her, but they say not to push the potty training. So, my hope is again that Ladybug and Angelfish (who is showing sporatic interest only in the potty) will be potty trained by the time they leave for college. : ) They're a hoot though. Ladybug likes to pose while sitting on the potty and asked me to take her picture the other day. Angelfish likes to poop in the potty, but evidently doesn't mind being wet because she avoids peeing in it most of the time (which tells me that just like her adversion to crawling when she was younger, it's not that she doesn't know how it's more that she doesn't want to... so we have to get a motivator for her. Too bad stealing toys won't work on potty training like it did to get her to go straight from refusing to crawl to walking in just a short period of time.) The girls are also smart enough to use it as a tactic to delay going to bed at night too. Of course, I'm happy to be blessed with intelligent children although sometimes I have to remind myself of that when I realize I'm being played like a fiddle by 2 1/2 year olds!

No comments:

Post a Comment