Thursday, January 14, 2010

A Strange Sort of Day, but not a Bad One

I woke up tired this morning... my guess is the fact that I went to bed late again last night.  I'm great if I get my 8 hours, but without it, not so good.  I wasn't that grumpy until Ladybug woke up in one of her moods and started the morning by yelling at everyone about everything.  I remained calm, did not yell, until she kicked me in the face.  Yep, that resulted in my spanking her and then leaving the room after I told her that I spanked her for kicking me in the face and that you do not kick your Mommy in the face.  I hate spanking her, but I know that was the sort of thing that putting her in time out wasn't going to get the take home message.

Eventually we got to school, everyone had calmed down. Ladybug told me over and over she loved me and she didn't want me to go.  When I started to leave she burst into a loud crying jag while her teacher tried to soothe her.  Angelfish on the other hand blew me kisses, wished me a Happy New Year (not sure why but they keep doing this) and went back to playing with her little buddies.  I just walked out of the room with Ladybug screaming.  Maybe I'm callous but when I have to go, I have to go and I know that she's crying like that in an attempt to play me like a fiddle.  It's not that I want to leave with her crying, I want her to be happy, but I know if I go back in there it's just going to perpetuate things.

So then it was back to work.  Lots of legislation to weed through. Random questions.  The usual.

At noon, I excitedly sauntered off to lunch with my friend Jen.  When I got there, she wasn't at the deli so I thought maybe I was supposed to meet her at her office, so I walked over.  No one was there.  I called her cell and left a message and wandered back to the deli and waited.  Eventually I ordered my sandwich - homemade foccaicia with low fat herbed cream cheese, sprouts, cucumbers and turkey. Absolutely delicious. Left her another voice mail message and then went back to work.  She called later and had been stuck in a meeting with a potential client that was supposed to last 1 hour and ended up lasting 2 hours.  C'est la vie.

Then more legislation.  It made me tired.  Very sleepy. And I wondered just how I was going to get my training in for the day because I had a sorority conference call at 4:30 and another one at 7 pm.  So I was hoping that the 4:30 call wouldn't last that long since they have only 2 chapters on that campus and we seem to recruit pretty well.  But we would have to see how that call went.  I had overheard at the deli Chris (the deli owner) and someone who works at the Y who said that Thursday evenings tend to be busy at the gym.  You'd think it would just be steady all week long wouldn't you?  Or is it only us tri/endurance athlete kinds that hit the swim/bike/run/gym 5-6 times a week?

My mind was everywhere.  And going through my legislation, I again was tickled by the peanut board legislation in Virginia.  This time I imagined the Planter's Peanuts guy sitting next to twin Peanut Guys, all in a row at the front of a room filled with farmers in plaid and with hoes and pitchforks.  I also wondered why there were so many involuntary committment and psychiatric treatment bills that were coming up in my search (I look for legislation dealing with corporate and tax law), and also whether there were that many people that these bills affected in the state.  Troubling. Most troubling.

I found out that I will be getting a bonus at work through a person who heard from another person in our main office, but the question is what amount it will be.  At this point, I am just so thrilled that I'm getting anything.  So that was good.

I got on my 1st sorority call and it went well.  The woman was very sweet, and the call was relatively short.  By 5:15 I was changing to go to the gym when Mr. Darcy called and we chatted and then I headed out.  I jumped on the stationary bike and did my 7 minutes of the warm up mode on the intermediate level.  Then I hit the machines.  Oh the difference some lunch makes. : )  I finished my 2 sets of my full retinue of weight machines and did my best not to laugh at some of the antics of my fellow weight lifters. 

One guy was on the rowing machine that works your back below your shoulder blades down into the small of your back (I'm tired, please forgive me because the name of the machine is not coming to me, which makes me laugh at myself).  He had the weight so low and was doing a large number of reps but he was doing them so fast that I heard "Row, Row, Row your boat" in my head but more like at a techno beat.  Slow and controlled it was not.

The next guy was on the chest press.  He was taking it super serious and looked like a guy really into his weights.  In between sets he'd rest and breathe and stretch out like he was pressing a super heavy weight and really maxing himself out.  And maybe he was... but when I finally got to use the machine he'd only been pressing 40, which is what I press when I'm not trying to max out.  I don't think he did the inverse pyramid thing because he never changed the weight the entire time I was waiting on him.  But who knows.  It was just an awful lot of drama for 3 sets at 40 pounds.  That's all I'm saying.

And then there was the guy behind the counter who I asked about the Tri Club meeting because I couldn't stay for it because of the 2nd sorority call for the night.  He was trying to be nice and I admittedly probably don't look like a triathlete to some people because I'm not a bean pole.  He asked what was it that interested me in trying to do a triathlon.  His eyes almost bugged out of his head when I said that I was just trying to see if there was a group close to home that I could join in with since I've already done several sprint tris, olympic tris, and a 70.3.  Yeah.  I actually loved that reaction... it's not like it's all that unbelievable... although I have to admit I probably didn't look all that intimidating in my yoga pants, long sleeve pink underarmor t-shirt, having barely broken a sweat, and still wearing makeup that I forgot to wash off before heading to the gym.

When I got home the little ladies and Mr. Darcy were at home setting up Mr. Darcy's new XBox 360.  Angelfish had the headphones on for the system and said "Daddy, you're going to be my hero!"  Ladybug went and put on her pajamas because she wanted to be cozy and then gave me lots of kisses.  We hung out for a bit and then for the 2nd conference call.  It went well - even if I thought that an Area Wide Training was going to be in Daytona instead of Orlando, but oh well.  I chalk it up to a need for dinner and some sleep.

Which is where I'm off to now.  I have one sorority conference call tomorrow at 4:30 and I may check out the yoga class at the Y at lunch time for my "stretching" day.  I am looking forward to this long weekend when I will relax, run 8 miles with the Princess 1/2 Marathon group that Coach has put together, go on a date with Mr. Darcy, and get to go shopping for some badly needed clothing using world points gift certificates and christmas money, and if time permits even get a manicure and a pedicure.  I wonder - does shopping count as cross training?  It will probably be emotional and involve a lot of walking and changing of clothes... if only I had Stacy and Clinton from "What Not to Wear" to go with me!

Okay... off I go for dinner, water and putting the kiddies to bed.  Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment