Wednesday, September 30, 2009

The Doldrums

I am feeling a little blue.  It's funny in a way.  I completed my 1st HIM ever and feel great about it.  But there's something about it all that makes me sad or something.  Maybe it's because I don't have another race lined up until February or so.  Or maybe it's just because I'm really tired and recovering... and it feels wierd not to really have a workout - a 30 minute walk and stretching isn't really a training session.  Maybe it's the let down after months of building up to a super big event.

Maybe subconsciously I thought life would change somehow.  I'm not sure why I would think such a thing, but it's the only thing I can think of that would explain the post-race blues.  Maybe it's because Mr. Darcy has a deadline and I haven't really seen him since before my race and life seems to have returned to complete "normalacy"... I got home from the race, ate, gave out presents (which no one seemed overly excited about - I guess t-shirts don't get a hooping and hollering.  In Angelfish's case it led to crying and "I want a dress!"), and then Mr. Darcy went back to work on his deadline, I put the girls down to bed, and it's been business as usual (except with Mr. Darcy working all hours of the night on the deadline) ever since. 

But of course it would be.  What exactly else would happen?  The aura glow of a 70.3 Ironman following me around making me somebody different?  No, of course not.  Heck, half the people I know or talk to at work or at daycare or at a store don't even know what a HIM is.  (They'd probably think I'm referring to the Big Guy Upstairs with the HIM abbreviation.)

So it's the big deal that for most people, really isn't that big of a deal.  Of course, it could just be that I need a big nap and my body is so tired that nothing is all that interesting or amazing right now.

I'm wondering how to summon up enough energy just to make it to and through the girls' soccer practice this evening... especially since my legs do not want to run (or even walk briskly) and the only way the little ladybugs agree to play soccer is if I am out there with them. 

I guess I'll do it just like I did my HIM, one foot in front of another and take anything that comes along the way.  And I'll start plotting my races for next season...

3 comments:

  1. I found this article a bit ago, maybe it will help.

    http://www.trifuel.com/training/triathlon-training/your-ironman-is-over-what-about-life-as-you-know-it

    ReplyDelete
  2. First,
    What a fantastic race report below. I'm hoping to do one next year,and your story was great!

    Second,
    Good luck with all that spare time. I was the same way post-marathon. I din't know what to do with myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. An HIM is a big deal - Congrats on doing your first one! Imagine how few people can say that! Found your blog from some others.. Everyone feels a bit down after big races.. you're not the only one. Use this time to rest, recharge and recover. You'll be ready to go get em in 2010! Take care and God Bless.. love the blog - I'll be back!

    ReplyDelete