Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Tuesday funnies

I had a brilliant idea this morning. I had the laundry in, the dishwasher going, the house straightened, so I was going to walk the kids to school and then keep walking to the grocery. I was only buying a handful of things... All went well. The girls said it was cold in the shade, so we ran from sun spot to sun spot until Angelfish declared that her ribs were hurting from breathing too hard. Then we walked the rest of the way. As we were waiting a few minutes because we made such good time (12 minutes is not bad when you are lugging two backpacks that weigh 7 pounds or so each) and were early, the ladies overheard that they could go in the school lobby to listen to a band play Christmas carols. Instantly chopped liver, off they went and so did I. At the store, I bought: 5 lbs of sugar, a container of canola oil, a container of coconut oil, Brie, a can of cranberry sauce, 2 cans of pumpkin, creamer, dark sugar, a jar of garlic. I am pretty sure all of that weighed about 10 pounds. The bag boy was nice enough to pack it into my sack, which then broke. But I rigged it so it would still work and hefted the 1.3 miles home. As I did, I realized the difference that 10 pounds make and decided I needed to make sure I keep off the weight I lost over the past year and to make a real effort to get the couple pounds that I've already gained back off.
So with this in my head, I made a pumpkin spice cake with salted caramel sauce for a holiday party/board meeting I have tonight, and vow not to have any especially since I had the left over quiche from last night for breakfast and just some good pork tenderloin left overs for lunch.
I had to laugh though about the groceries because the lack of forethought when purchasing an automatic 5 pound bag of sugar made me laugh at myself. It also made me think of the members of the military doing runs with their rucksacks which weigh much more than the 10 pounds I carried. Hoorah!
Day 4 of mile challenge complete in the form of a 2.6 mile walk (or more if we want to count the walking I did in the grocery but I'm not sure wandering up and down the aisles really counts). I think I might take on 3 miles tomorrow... But without the groceries!

No comments:

Post a Comment