Monday, February 9, 2009

Saturday workout, a day of rest(?), and Monday night

Ahhh yes, the 1st Saturday workout. Saturday was quite the day. First, I overslept and then had to exceed the speedlimit to get to the practice. The practice itself was a good one. 15 miles on the bike (with a break at the 1/2 way point for us all to catch up and try our chosen power fuel) and then a 2 mile run. The bike left me bruised... not from the ride but from my over reacting to a car at a stop sign that appeared to first be rolling through the stopsign and then stomping on the breaks upon seeing me (which probably was more in my head than reality) and my slamming on only one of my brakes to stop (yes, folks, you need to slam on both. If you don't stop the back wheel too, you go over the front of the bike, like I did.). But both I and my bike are ok... I have a few bruises here and there but all in all am just fine (other than a bit of embarrassment). And I have to admit, I didn't run the entire 2 miles at the end. I was a little sore from the fall and my one leg was clamping down a bit so I walked a little but ran most of the 2 miles. I will get there, though.

Sunday was my rest day, which was good because Saturday night I couldn't keep my eyes open past 7:30 pm to save my life. I had to be woken up to help put the girls to bed after the end of their movie! And as soon as they were down for bed, I was too! Sunday we played a little around the house, the girls rode their bikes and we "played" frisbee golf in the park across the street. Then we got the bright idea to go to Sea World. So we loaded up in the car, tried to start it and funny sounds came from the car but it didn't start. So, we tried to jump start it. Nothing doing. So Mr. Darcy took a movie of what the engine was doing and we looked up the number for a Toyota dealership that had a maintenance department not too far in case we had to tow the car there. On our way to lunch in the mini-van, Mr. Darcy called the service department at the dealership and the person told him that it sounded like a dead battery and to call this other number to have it towed over. Instead, I convinced Mr. Darcy that if it was just a dead battery, we could buy one and replace it ourselves which would be much less expensive than towing the car just to replace a battery. So, we had lunch, got a battery from Advanced Auto Parts, Mr. Darcy replaced the battery, the car turned on (and did so again this morning since Mr. Darcy was able to leave for work), did a couple errands (in the mini-van just in case) including getting Joe Friel's The Triathelete's Training Bible (the 3rd edition that just came out at the beginning of the month), got some ice cream, and headed home. Ladybug(who has a memory like an elephant) though remembered that we were supposed to get to see Shamu... crying ensued despite promises to see Shamu another day until Mommy pulled out the trump card... "Beauty and the Beast" (Ladybug's favorite movie at the moment). Shamu was forgotten and the day was saved! Go SuperMOM (with help from Super Dad of course)!

It is always strange to wake up on a Monday morning and not hit the gym, but now that Team in Training group swims are Monday evening, it is something I'm having to adjust to. So, Mr. Darcy was in a bit of a crabby mood brought on by not getting up early enough to deal with 2 grumpy girls that didn't want to get out of bed, eat breakfast, or get dressed. I managed to get the girls dressed, kick him out of the house, get the girls to eat (and have fun while doing it), and take them to school while chatting up a storm, shower and dress, eat breakfast myself, pack my bag for my group swim workout this evening and do this blog! I still missed the gym though.

Before practice, and hopefully during lunch today, I plan to get a few things from Target, buy a kickboard from Sports Authority and hit California Pizza Kitchen up to set up a day where 20% of the sales for the day will go toward my fundraising for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. I also plan to ask Publix if I can set up a table one weekend so that I can try to get donations as well. Wish me luck!


  1. I'm so sorry you fell! That sucks!! I know how hard the fundraising can be. I think that is what worries me the most about the 3-day. I just wish I didn't have to worry about raising all that money and I could focus more on building my endurance and conquering the blisters.

    I don't think I would have ever begun this journey if it weren't for you and Angie. I know he biggest wish for me was to really live my life to its fullest, and remember her in a positive way. I think this is one of the best things I could ever do to honor her.

  2. The fundraising can be a pain, but don't be afraid to ask people. The people you think will sponsor you often don't and the ones that you would have never expect tend to surprise you. And don't be afraid to ask your work to sponsor you either... the stock went up after all! : )

    I agree that this is a great way to honor Angie. And I know you can do all the training as well as living life to the fullest! Go Anna Go!