Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St. Patrick's Day in the TriMommy Household

Today is St. Patrick's Day and I only realized it in the car while driving the wonder twins to daycare.  I knew it on Monday but forgot about it by the morning.  In my defense, I was up since 3 am due to a combination of Ladybug being afraid of the dark, Mr. Darcy not wanting her to get up in the middle of the night and try to sleep in our bed, and insomnia that started as awakened by Ladybug (but really I was on the way to waking up as it was... but if I didn't have to get out of bed, I probably could have fallen asleep after a few minutes like most nights as of late).

I announced that it was St. Patrick's Day and Angelfish declared that it had to be tomorrow.  I told her that, no, it was today.  To which she responded, "But I don't want to get pinched!"  And it dawned on me.  They were not dressed in your standard St. Patrick's Day attire - green.  Yes, I am a terrible Mommy and have not dressed my children in a festive manner.  I'm Polish, French, German and British.  Does that get me off the hook for anything?  Probably not.  St. Patrick's Day is pretty much an American holiday as it is.  Besides, Mr. Darcy is Scottish, Irish, Afrikaans, Native American and all around mutt.  Ugh - I've stopped giving them failure numbers, but there's another "bad Mommy" item to add to the disdain of the other school children and parents, I'm sure. 

It's official.  I am completely forgetful.  To forget the holiday of green clothing and green beer, and to forget to dress your children in green? Luckily, Angelfish is wearing a floral dress with striped pants (she picked it out herself, not wanting to wear the cute outfit I chose for her this morning) and the dress had some green leaves in it and the pants had stripes that were green.  Ladybug has it a bit tougher.  She is wearing jeans with a turquoise and lime green dress (the double of the one she wore on Monday come to think of it - we don't buy 2 of the same clothing for our girls, but often get presents of that sort) over which she has on a black t-shirt that has a pink cat on it.

I did try to impart a bit of St. Patrick's Day knowledge to the girls while driving - gleaned from my days at Catholic elementary school.  St. Patrick drove all the snakes out of Ireland and also happened to spread Christianity to its people.

I may try to make up for it by going to the bakery and seeing if they have any St. Patrick's Day themed cookies.

Of course, I'll be spending my St. Patrick's Day at work and then at track practice doing ab work and sprints. And wishing that I had several more hours of sleep.  And attempting to finish our taxes.  And putting away the laundry that I at least folded last night.  And trying to pack clothes for Friday's trip so I don't have to do it Thursday, but I have a feeling I'll be doing it Thursday because keeping my eyelids open is quite the trick.  Did I mention I'm already dressed for tonight's track practice because well, I decided I might as well do it this morning so I could have one less thing on my to do list?  I'm planning ahead.

I have beer in the house, but no green food dye.  I'll just have to pretend it's green beer this evening after track practice.  I may not be Irish but I can pretend with everyone else - even if I'm not wearing green.

Happy St. Patrick's Day and try not to get pinched!

2 comments:

  1. no green here and no pinches...yet! you're a product of catholic school too? poor us! i went from 2nd thru until i graduated from hs...then the university was a scary place after having been sheltered for so long. Happy St. Patty's day to you! hope your track workout rocked.

    ReplyDelete