Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Friday Fifteen

So, I'm going to try something new (and hope to remember to keep doing it) in my blog. I'm calling it the Friday Fifteen. I've noticed other bloggers do something like this where they pick a day and either give a set number of thoughts or some other thing. I really enjoy one blogger's Thursday Thirteen, so I thought I'd do The Friday Fifteen (Five was just too short for a rambler like me). Here's the first Friday Fifteen...

1. I could not for the life of me, pull myself out of bed this morning for my 5 mile run. I was just physically exhausted. No more GI issues, though, thank goodness. It doesn't help that Coach basically gave me permission to slack off this week by saying it was a recovery week, so recover. I laid in bed until 6:45 am, at one point with 2 children piled in with us. I put on my running clothes, got the kiddos dressed and as I was helping get them into the car for school it started to rain. I decided it was a sign from God, ate breakfast and watched "What Not to Wear."

2. I need to be a contestant on "What Not to Wear." I truly need to scrap my wardrobe of outdated and rather unfashionable clothes and start over. Unfortunately, I don't have the cash to do it and without help probably would end up buying not so great stuff again anyway. Not to mention the need for makeup application training.

3. I saw an ad online today that said "Have parasites? Then you have a problem!" Uh, really? You mean intestinal parasites aren't friends we should cultivate? I am easily amused.

4. Speaking of being easily amused, I love it when you're in a restaurant and the waitress recommends a type of bean sidedish and to convince you of it says "They're good. And I'm serious about beans." Can you be that serious about beans? It makes me smile.

5. Something that might not make me smile is our trip for the girls' annual check up at the pediatrician. They're 3, so I'm hoping there aren't any shots involved because the girls don't get upset with the doctor or the nurse when they get the shots, they get upset with me because I took them there. Plus, they just don't like the idea of going to the doctor because usually when they go they're sick or getting shots. Who can blame them, really? But at least I'll get to ask about allergies for Angelfish... the poor thing gets puffy eyes and sometimes sort of loses her voice when the pollen is bad.

6. It's gray, cloudy and raining off and on. I spent probably a good 15 minutes trying to decide between wearing a red t-shirt or a blue t-shirt with my jeans. And 5 more deciding if I really should wear jeans because it's hot in Florida at this time of year.

7. I'm worried about my lack of training this week. I have an Olympic Distance triathlon in 8 days and I have barely thought about it. I've been thinking about the insanely hilly 56 miles in September instead... and not doing much about it this week. I need motivation but I also feel like I'm tired and really need a vacation.

8. I have a vacation scheduled starting July 27th, but somehow that seems like a year and a half from now. We have alot going on between now and then that makes it seem like forever until vacation.

9. My vacation is exciting but worrisome too. Mr. Darcy and I are leaving Angelfish and Ladybug with Mr. Darcy's parents and going on a cruise to the Bahamas (a gift from Mr. Darcy's parents). It will be the longest that we've been away from our children since their birth.... not to mention I am worried about the amount of sugar they will consume in our absence and how spoiled they will be when we return. It's fun for the grandparents to spoil them, and extra work for the parents to get them back to where they were before getting spoiled for a week. But I'm certain we'll have fun.

10. I hope the cruise ship has a good gym because I'm going to need to do my training while on board. Mr. Darcy will love that I'm sure.

11. I am seriously afraid of the 56 mile bike, followed by the 16.1 mile run in Augusta. I wasn't afraid of it until they revised the bike course and the hills now look impossible. I really don't want to DNF because of time or because I just can't do it. I would be completely angry with myself and I would feel like I wasted a bunch of time that Mr. Darcy had to be with the girls on his own and that I could have spent with them.

12. Thus, I need to get my butt in gear and get serious about training again. I have a 20 mile bike followed by a 3 mile run on the schedule for tomorrow and I'm going to force myself to do it. Unless it's raining. I refuse to bike in the rain... but I have a trainer so I'll still get the 20 miles in, even though I hate using the trainer. Probably not smart to never ride in the rain because it could rain in Augusta at the end of September, but I don't want to take the chance of breaking something in the meantime.

13. I need to have some self affirming thoughts about the race, my abilities, and my body. I don't say negative things to myself on a regular basis, but there are times when I can't help myself. I think that's part of the reason I like triathlons, every time I do one I realize I can do something more than I thought I could and it builds me up. Kind of like when they told me I was a natural on the camera at the "infomercial" shoot. I felt even better about myself. I wish I could do that without having to have others tell me I'm good.

14. As they used to say on that old Saturday Night Live Skit, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and gosh darn it, people like me!"

15. As my parting thought for the day, I'll leave you with the wise words of Angelfish and Ladybug from this morning:

Angelfish: Annie, come here. I want to pet you. (petting the dog nicely) See? I'm petting you nicely I'm not hitting you like this. (Hits the dog.)
Ladybug: We do not hit dogs. Dogs are living creatures like you and me, and we need to be kind to all living creatures, right Mommy?

2 comments:

  1. You freaked me out! I had to go back to the IM website to confirm. 13.1 miles running. No problem after thinking about the 16.1 you were planning, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG... I haven't even looked at the revised bike course for Augusta yet! YIKES! Put it this way, I am feeling EXACTLY like you are right now; BUT, we WILL get through this!!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete